Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Current Plan 9 Environment... and loving it!

I've got a Plan 9 CPU server running in VMWare Fusion on Mac OS X Snow Leopard. I ran into a few problems with the setup of this as VMWare Fusion's emulation of IDE disks didn't agree much with Plan 9. Changing to SCSI disks made all the difference in the world.

I followed and updated a little the Plan 9 wiki's instructions on setting up a CPU/Auth server, and then used it with drawterm, a unix program that works like a little Plan 9 terminal to connect to CPU servers, and all was good.

There's a project out there called vx32 which implements a sandboxing/virtualization in userspace library that has been used for a port of the Plan 9 kernel. I grabbed the latest Mercurial snapshot of this code base, and compiled it (after patching it up so Snow Leopard didn't complain about the deprecated ucontext.h stuff), and now I have a Plan 9 kernel (almost, it's not 100% the same) running as a terminal to connect to my Fusion CPU server.

So, now what? Well I may take a crack at the port of the Go language to Plan 9... when I get time to do this again.


No comments:

Post a Comment